by Swetha Rajagopal
If you are ever having any gathering with a lot of people or a dinner date with a special someone, this five-course meal is made to please. Just make sure to tell them to come on an empty stomach!
Soup : Creamy Carrot Soup with Anise and Dill
- 4 tablespoons butter (vegans: olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable spread)
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth (vegans: vegetable broth)
- ½ cup heavy cream (vegans: coconut milk, soy milk, cashew cream)
- 6 whole star anise
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
- Heat the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the onion and carrots. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the carrots are almost tender. Add the broth, star anise and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Discard the star anise.
Use a blender stick or food processor to puree the soup until smooth. Add the heavy cream, white pepper and dill. Heat through and serve hot garnished with a sprig of fresh dill
Appetizer: Crab and Celery Root Remoulade
2 cups shredded peeled celery root
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
8 oz. lump crabmeat, drained and shelled pieces removed
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp finely chopped tarragon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
24 baby Boston leaves
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Combine mayonnaise and next 6 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over crab mixture, tossing well to combine. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons crab mixture in center of each lettuce leaf.
Salad : Spinach Salad with Cranberries, Walnuts, and Pomegranate Vinaigarette
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and ground black pepper
6 cups baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup walnut pieces
In a small container with lid, combine pomegranate juice, vinegar, oil, and Dijon. Seal and shake to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Place spinach on a serving platter and top with cranberries and walnuts. Pour vinaigrette over spinach and serve.
Main Course: Roasted Garlic Chicken Alfredo
2 egg yolks 1/4 cup sugar Pinch of salt 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Butter and lightly flour four 6-ounce ramekins. Tap out the excess flour. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, over simmering water, melt the butter with the chocolate. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar and salt at high speed until thickened and pale.
3. Whisk the chocolate until smooth. Quickly fold it into the egg mixture along with the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 12 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then take it out of the mold. Serve immediately.
Enjoy the food!