By Amrutha Chethikattil
If you’re like me, you’re always in the mood for cookies. But plain chocolate or sugar gets boring…so here’s a cookie recipe sure to introduce bright colors into your palate.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups flour (+ 2-3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups M&M’s
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Add the shortening and vanilla extract. Mix well, with an electric beater if possible.
2. Add the 2 1/2 cup flour, baking soda and salt into a smaller bowl. Then slowly incorporate this into the large bowl, mixing in between portions. At this point, you can just mix with your hands if you prefer.
3. Add the rest of the flour as needed, the dough needs to feel thick and dry. Stir in the m&ms.
4. Butter a cookie sheet. Roll the dough into balls (depending upon how big you want your cookies to turn out) and place them and inch apart from each other onto the cookie sheet. Press the m&ms on top and flatten with your palm.
5. Bake the cookies for around ten minutes, or until they are golden brown at the bottom. Let cool for around ten minutes.