By Adithy Hassan
“If you want a thing done well, do it yourself.” -Napolean Bonaparte
We’ve reached that time again-another DIY! I’m thinking of creating a hashtag for all of your wonderful recreations on Instagram, so please let me know if you have any ideas. Since last week’s post was about Christmas gifts, I wanted to circle around the same theme and talk about some DIY gifts this week, so please send me pictures if you tried any of these DIY’s out!
1. Cookies In a Jar: This has to be my ultimate favorite gift to give my family and friends since you can personalize it to fit absolutely anyone! To start off, you will need:
(Disclaimer: you will need to measure your dry ingredients based on the size of your jar)
- a Mason jar (you can buy these in bulk to save you some money and experiment with all of these ideas!)
- Chocolate chips or any topping to fit their needs (Ex: Coconut shavings, raisins, M & M’s etc.)
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
Go ahead and mix your flour, salt, and baking soda together and pour that mixture into your jar. Next, place your toppings above your mixture. Once you’ve tightly packed your toppings into the jar, add your brown sugar and make sure to pack it tightly in order to save your ingredients from going haywire. After you’ve saved your ingredients from budging, pour your granulated sugar on top and close your lid because you’re all done! Just remember to add a tag to the jar with the recipe and you’re all good to go!
2. Garden In a Jar: Giving a living item to someone makes your gift even more personal. Furthermore, since the cold weather has pushed most people into a slump, this is a great way to lighten the mood and lift their spirits. You will need:
- A mason jar
- Succulents (or any small plant)
- Extra potting soil
To start off, evenly spread out a handful of potting soil into your jar. Then, carefully take out the plants from their pots and arrange your plants into any formation you desire. Once you have added another handful of soil around your plants into the jar and have added a tag about the watering schedule (if your plants have one), and you’re sure to please everyone with your brand new DIY terrarium!
3. Spa In a Jar: Since the holidays bring some stress, it’s never a bad idea to help someone relax. You will need:
- A mason jar
- Nail polish (Since it’s winter, opt for warmer and neutral tones)
- Nail file (Nail files with cute designs can pull your entire gift together)
- Lip scrub (My favorite is ‘Popcorn’ by Lush at the moment)
- Face mask (Lush has some amazing to-DIY-for (pun intended) face masks such as their ‘Mask of Magnaminty’ and ‘Aqua Marina.’ Target has great one-use face masks for a more affordable alternative)
- Candle (Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle are definitely the best places to find the most satisfying scents)
- Cotton Balls
- Bath bomb (The best bath bombs are no-doubtely located at Lush)
All you have to do to assemble your spa in a jar is add your cotton balls as a steady base, and you can control the rest by placing your items in any formation you desire.(:
In order to spice up your jars, you can add ribbon, glitter, tags, or any other decorations onto your jars. I hope you enjoyed these DIY gift ideas, and I would love to see your recreations! Till next week, XOXO Adithy.
Disclaimer: I have based these DIY’s off of other resources. I simply added a few extra tips and ideas into my all time favorite gift ideas.